GIVING GIFTS WITH RESERVATIONS.
Gift with reservation occurs when an individual makes a gift and still enjoy the benefits from the gifts.
The issue here is when an individual gives a gift to another individual, it would be a potential exempt transfer for inheritance tax purpose.
A potential exempt transfer is not chargeable to inheritance tax until the individual dies. Also if the individuals live more than 7 years of giving the gift, No inheritance tax is due.
If the individual dies between 3 years and 7 years, the still enjoy taper relief for each year they have been alive.
CONDITIONS FOR GIFT WITH RESERVATION.
- An individual will give a gift.
- If the gift was given on or after 18 March 1986.
- Possession and enjoyment of the subject matter of the gift are not bonafide assumed by the donee.
- The subject matter of the gift is not enjoyed to the entire exclusion of the donor and of any benefit to him.
TYPICAL EXAMPLE OF GIFT WITH RESERVATION.
Let say Agnes gives her daughter her house. Under Inheritance tax, this would be a potentially exempt transfer.
The estate executors would not pay any inheritance to the gift of the house if she doesn’t die in 7 years.
If she continues to enjoy the benefit on this house by living in the house rent-free, this would be a gift with reservation of benefit.
CONSEQUENCE OF GIVING A GIFT WITH RESERVATION UNDER INHERITANCE TAX.
Inheritance tax forms can be hideously complex, often leaving families struggling to work out exactly how much is payable at a time when they are grieving for their loved ones. Our accounting firm in the UK can help you reduce this stress.
The gift would be treated as remaining within the chargeable estate of the donor’s estate at death.
The value of the house when the donor dies would be used rather than when the gift was given.
HOW TO AVOID A GIFT WITH RESERVATION.
- The donor pays a full market rent for the use of the asset.
- The donor will not benefit from the asset.
- If the donor discovers they are caught under the gift with reservation, they can release their reservation.
If you would like to read more on a gift with reservation, Kindly click